The oral microbiome is a gateway to the rest of the human body. Nevertheless, the exploration of its profound effects on the entire body is just beginning. View the slides from DrBonnie360’s presentation at The Microbiome Therapeutics US Conference in Boston, MA, September 2019, below. She demonstrates how the oral microbiome connects to systemic health.
First, she suggests how the oral microbiome may be a key missing link in the development of chronic diseases like Alzheimer’s dementia. Then, she takes you on a journey to explore the microbial ecosystems inside our mouths. She describes new research connecting mouth disease to disease in distant parts of the body. She takes you on a deep dive into plaque, caries and periodontal disease. As a former dentist, she shows you how to improve your oral well-being for better overall well-being. Finally, she describes some of the latest companies and their products that can help you improve the balance of your oral microbiome for better systemic health.
The oral microbiome connects to chronic & autoimmune disease
Recent research connects the oral microbiome to systemic diseases such as cardiovascular disease and Alzheimer’s dementia. Of particular interest to autoimmune patients, recent research connects gum disease to rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Beyond RA, unbalanced oral microbiomes may trigger other autoimmune diseases such as lupus and Crohn’s disease. Moreover, in Sjogren’s syndrome, dry mouth is a symptom but may also be part of a negative feedback loop to the immune system. Such connections open a door to new preventative and therapeutic opportunities focused on the oral microbiome. Furthermore, this new knowledge highlights the far-reaching but frequently ignored significance of oral health to systemic health.
More from our blog on how the oral microbiome connects to systemic health
Continue your journey with DRBonnie360 (and others) deep into the mouth. See how the ecosystem of microbes in our mouths connects to the rest of the body. Also learn how the oral microbiome connects to autoimmune and other chronic diseases.
- Start with the fundamentals: Oral Microbiome Basics for Autoimmune Patients. Learn about the ecosystems in out mouths. Also discover how unbalanced populations of microbes lead to plaque, caries, periodontitis. Then find out how those conditions can trigger diseases, including heart & lung, cancer and autoimmune diseases, espeically RA.
- Our e-book on the Oral Microbiome explores the multiple ecosystems in our mouths, how they contribute to plaque and gingivitis and why a healthy mouth matters for more than a beautiful smile.
- Even more on how understanding the oral microbiome can help us understand systemic chronic diseases.
- Learn how the oral microbiome may be a missing link that connects poor health in the mouth to poor health in the body, especially heart & lung disease and cancer.
- Furthermore, there may also be a connection between a dysbiotic mouth and Alzheimer’s dementia.
- Check out our updated and improved Visual Annotated Oral Microbiome Research Bibliography .